Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Wandering Path

How is your Lenten Journey going? I suspect that there are some that started off with determination and enthusiasm that have faded away. Others might have just gotten started. Me? It's a mixed bag. Lent finds me at an interesting point in my spiritual walk. I was feeling somewhat frustrated and knew I needed to get rid of some baggage. It is a time of seeking. AGAIN. Or perhaps it's supposed to be that way.

Jesus said, "I am the way." so following Him means we just hop and skip along that yellow brick road and find our way.... except that there isn't a yellow brick road. Nor is there a green line like in the commercial. If only it were that simple.

Following Christ, really following Him, is not always easy physically, emotionally, or spiritually. There are times of peace and joy, but also times of questioning and  doubt.  But that's just me - it could be that my flaws are more stubborn. Your walk may be completely different. Lent arrived at a time as I was drawing closer to God. I felt the need to be more focused and in-tune. I've been re-evaluating some things and have had my heart tugged to continue. It's not all bad... I was given insight that has helped me see things differently than I did, and am grateful for that. I am feeling a sense of renewal bubbling up from within.

Someone challenged me to join in their "40 days of Scripture" and read the Bible during Lent. Many plan to read the entire Bible in 40 days. (Lent is actually 46 days - you don't count the Sundays.) Yes, that would require dedication, and a sacrifice of time for many. I knew that I needed to spend more time in prayer and reading when I began. While I didn't think I "needed" to do this particular task, I thought, "What can it hurt?" and joined in.

I lasted about 3 days. It isn't that I don't think they have a good idea - and I'm enjoying comments by people as they read. But in my case, I got side-tracked. There were some passages that really spoke to me. Rather than going on and keeping up the pace, I stopped to focus and see where that path off to the side took me. It wasn't a bad detour... and I don't feel bad about doing so. So I will perhaps start where I left off and continue, or maybe jump to where the others are, or more likely, continue on my own journey. The discipline of study is good, and will at least be following the notes as I read... just not necessarily at this time.

During Lent, perhaps more than at any other time of the year, I think of Jesus' life, especially the end of it. There are some intense lessons to be learned about love, obedience, and sacrifice just in that last week. Measured against these things, I am very inadequate. Jesus gave His all, His best.  That's the least I can do, give my all, and give my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment