Friday, February 22, 2013

Making My Own List...

The other day, I shared a list, "10 Things to Remember for Lent," written by Bishop David L. Ricken of Green Bay Wisconsin. When I looked at his list again, especially in light of thinking how to apply it to my own Lenten Journey,  I realized that his list is flawed. What? He's a Bishop! How could his Lenten list be flawed?Well, it is and I'm going to explain how I came to that conclusion, as I share my own list..
His list:
  1. Remember the formula. (prayer, fasting, giving) 
  2. It’s a time of prayer.
  3. It’s a time to fast.
  4. It’s a time to work on discipline.
  5. It’s about dying to yourself.
  6. Don’t do too much.
  7. Lent reminds us of our weakness.
  8. Be patient with yourself.
  9. Reach out in charity.
  10. Learn to love like Christ.
 His first item is fine and I agree with it. But numbers 2, 3 and 9 are included in it. This leads me to my own list. Just as his list served to help me focus on my own journey my creating a map, if you are to have a map for your journey, then you must create it yourself. Feel free to use mine as a guide. Sometimes it helps to have choices just so you can decide what isn't right for you!

My "7 Things to Know About Lent"  I will elaborate on them in another post.

1. There is no formula.
2. Lent is a time of prayer.
3. Lent is a time of listening.
4. Lent is a time of focused discipline.
5. Lent reminds us of our weaknesses. 
6. Lent is about giving.
7. Lent is a starting point.
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment