Monday, February 25, 2013

Giving God Your Worries

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest."  (Psalm 22:1-2)

Have you ever said that to God? Or felt so alone and troubled? Me too. One night, almost 20 years ago, stands out in my memory as a night that I felt such anguish.  It was a turning point in my relationship with God when I finally learned to delegate the most important thing in my life.

People say, "Turn your worries over to God." Well, that sounds like a real good idea, but how? I struggled with that question for many years. It was definitely easier said than done.

"Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you." I Peter 5:7

This is one of my earliest favorite verses. Although I had faith in God, and had trusted Him completely for years, I tried, but somehow, I couldn't just turn things over and quit worrying, even though I really wanted to. God had done some amazing things in my past and I had no doubt He COULD take my cares away. Though thankful for past gifts, I still worried.

Then came "that night" I finally allowed God to take care of things completely. This was about a year after my lupus diagnosis. Even though not nearly as serious then, I worried about the future. I'd handled all I could on my own and was very upset.  Doctors had given me a grim prognosis and my children were still young. It was possible I wouldn't live to see them graduate from high school.

As I cried.my anguished prayers did not have words, yet God heard, and answered.  I finally told God I couldn't handle it, and asked for help coping with it. I told Him how agonized I was at leaving my children, worried I wouldn't be able to live long enough to raise them. 

There was an amazing, almost instant, sense of peace! Since then, I've kept this peace and the fear is gone. Somehow I just knew that it would be okay - I didn't know how, but just knew it would work out. There have been scary moments, and plenty of tears, but now, even though it's definitely more serious, I never feel as anxious as before. No matter how many worries I have about it, there's an internal peace that keeps me sane. God is handling it. I can be concerned, but I know that ultimately, no matter what, it's going to be just fine.  

Everyone worries. I hope you turn your cares over to God easier than I did. Worry wears you down and takes away your peace. I can promise you that if you turn it over to God, you can cope with anything.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment