Friday, March 1, 2013

Just Had to Share This With You!

Yesterday, I shared with you that although I'd agreed to participate with the group reading the Bible during Lent, it didn't take long for me to get sidetracked. It's not as if I haven't read it already, or that I don't know what's going to happen!  (Spoiler alert: The best part isn't at the beginning, or even at the end.... check out Matthew 28 or Luke 24! There's a lot of great stuff before and after, but wow...just read it!)

A few minutes ago I read today's blog post that goes with the reading group - and I just had to share what it said with you since I'd just shared about not reading in my own blog post.

Thousands of people have joined in reading through the Bible during the 40 Days of Lent this year. People have invited their small groups, friends, spouses, neighbors, and co-workers to join in. Some don’t even believe in God. I recently heard from one woman who invited a co-worker who isn’t a Christian to join her in reading the Bible through Lent.

After the first week she announced, “There are some really rotten people in the Bible. Noah gets drunk and can’t keep his pants on. Jacob is a liar and a cheat. Joseph’s brothers are a band of meanies. I thought I was going to be reading a book about Christians.”

The woman encouraged her friend to keep reading.

After the second week’s reading, the co-worker announced, “I don’t think reading the Bible is accomplishing what you wanted it to.”

“How so?” the woman asked.

“Well, I don’t really like God. He seems mean and gets angry a lot and kills a lot of people. Do you know what this book really needs?”

“What?” the woman asked.

“A hero. This book needs someone to come along and save the day and make God not so angry all the time.”

The woman smiled.  “Keep reading,” she encouraged. “The hero is coming.”
 
Reading this sent chill bumps up my arms. Yes, indeed, the hero is coming.... from the very beginning, even before birth, this hero is really special! So, if you happen to be reading the Bible for the very first time, don't get bogged down in the geneology, and try to remember historical context when reading some of the earliest parts. It's probably impossible to get through some parts (such as Psalms) without thinking, "Wow, I have felt that way before" even if you aren't a Christian! If it IS your first time reading, I don't even think this is what you should be doing. Reading it alone just straight through will just give you more questions than answer. If you have questions, send me a note. We'll talk.
 


The post A Response to the Complaint: “I Don’t Think Reading the Bible Is Accomplishing What You Wanted It To!” appeared first on Margaret Feinberg.

1 comment: