Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Undercurrent

Sitting in the quiet room, my body slowly wakes up and shifts into gear the same way the sun rises. The sky gradually lightens and at one point, turns pink before shifting over to a hazy pale blue. Slowly, the day begins... But as I watched out the window, I thought about how deceiving it is. It would seem to be a nice warm 70 degrees, but I know that it is likely cold, maybe even below freezing. Things are not always what they appear.

Someone I know, Susan Breeding, shared this picture of a swan on her facebook wall this morning. She wrote, "This swan looks peaceful, but maybe the feet are working hard under the water."

The picture reminded me that life is often that way. You may see others and think, "I wish my life was like her life. She has it made, no worries, it's all good." But you might not know how it is under the public surface. You do not know her worries and concerns, how she feels, or the ordeals she faces daily.

Just as the swan appears to glide smoothly over the water, underneath, his feet are moving quickly. The water churns in response and it isn't smooth down where the action is. If you are feeling anxious, do not compare yourself to others. They may just be treading water, wondering how you manage to glide so smoothly.

In Paul's letter to the church at Philippi, he shared with them that he'd figured out that the secret to feeling contented, was to be content whatever the circumstances.  He wrote, "I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."   (Philippians 4: 12-13)


2 comments:

  1. Barbara, Thanks for using my photo to illustrate this beautiful Word. I am honored to see how the Holy Spirit moved through my comera, to Susan's thoughts, to your message. Isn't the Body of Christ wonderful?

    Lana H. Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say pictures speak a thousand words... so it makes sense a picture can inspire as well. It is truly a wonderful picture.

      Delete