Thursday, March 28, 2013

In Remembrance, Maundy Thursday, Part 1

Part One
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  (Matthew 26: 26-27)

This did not all make sense, but Jesus often spoke in ways they did not understand until later. In Luke’s Gospel, it is recorded that Jesus told us when we participate in the Lord’s Supper, “that we do so in remembrance of Him.” He broke the unleavened Passover bread, telling the disciples things they did not yet understand. We do this now, remembering the sacrifice made for us, when we take communion. As we do, we ask forgiveness for our sins and weaknesses.

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”  (Luke 22:19)

Music has a way of expressing things for us in simple terms. There was once a musical called, “Celebrate Life!” written by Ragan Courtney and Buryl Red, about the life of Jesus. It was new when I was in high school and our youth group went to various churches performing it with actors, musicians, and speakers. It is still relevant today.

The song about the Last Supper, this Passover Meal, is by far not only my favorite song from that musical, but one that is special on it’s own.  If Jesus were to write a song telling us what to do, this just might be it. Do these things, in remembrance of Him.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Part 2 of my Maundy Thursday message is, A Hint of Things to Come, Maundy Thursday, part 2
The words to the song are below and here's a link so that you can enjoy the music. In Remembrance of Me
In Remembrance
In remembrance of Me eat this bread, In remembrance of Me drink this wine
In remembrance of Me pray for the time, When God's own will is done.

-In remembrance of me heal the sick, In remembrance of me feed the poor
In remembrance of me open the door, And let your brother in, let him in
 
Take eat and be comforted, Drink and remember too
That this is my body and precious blood, Shed for you, shed for you
 
In remembrance of me always love. In remembrance of me don't look above
But in your heart, in your heart. Look in your heart for God
Do this in remembrance of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment