Monday, March 4, 2013

Looking at Ourselves Through God's Mirror


Joey, one of my facebook friends, is a former student. While I knew him as a middle school student, he's all grown up now with his own family. I enjoy reading the inspirational posts he shares. Today, he shared a lesson from a book by Thomas Monson about how people can change, and seeing them in a positive note. It was a good read and I commented that it reminded me of something I'd written in my Lenten Devotional, Living What We Believe, about the way God sees us.  I also shared with him that it talked about a former student that he might know, even though they weren't classmates at the same time. He said I should post in in one of my blogs. He's right - it's a story worth repeating, even though some have read it before. It's a good reminder we all need from time to time.

As a teacher for 25 years, some of the most important lessons were taught by students. Early in my career, Kathy not only taught me how to teach, but made a lasting impact on my life.

She was in my 4/5 grade class, barely able to read, and couldn’t write. I soon discovered that she seemed bright, but suffered from a very low opinion of herself.  Her “career goal” was to drop out of school as soon as she was old enough.

We had many “conversations” about her ability to learn and lack of motivation. At times, she was angry and refused to try. She yelled, “Of course you’d say I could do it. That’s your job.” Just as she was moving on, my job changed. Oh no! Three more years of arguing with Kathy!

Fortunately, all 6th graders are given intelligence tests. As I suspected, she scored high. When I asked the counselor to tell her the score, he refused. It’s “not done.” Finally, I convinced him that Kathy needed to hear that she was smart from someone besides me.

After their conference, Kathy came in the room beaming. “Guess what?” she said. “I AM smart!”  By then, her skills were on 4th grade level, still two years behind. It was quite an achievement considering where she started.

By the time Kathy left my classes at the end of 8th grade, we were close friends. She not only caught up, but read above grade level and was a wonderful writer. Years later, she invited me to her high school graduation. I was so proud of her when I discovered that she would be making a speech! Proud, but not at all surprised.

She spoke of her attitude when she was younger, thinking she’d never amount to much, and didn’t care. She told them that she was hassled by a caring teacher until she was finally convinced that she was capable and thanked me for pushing her. She said that I believed in her long before she believed in herself.

Kathy had to learn to see herself as others saw her, not as she saw herself. All she could see were the flaws, not the potential. She is grown now, attended college, got married, and has three children. She’s an avid reader, too!She is not the same person she was when we met.

When God sees us, He sees our potential that we cannot even imagine at times.  God sees us as we CAN be, not as we are now.  He sees you whole, not broken. Look at yourself through God’s mirror and consider what He sees in you.  It could amaze you and change your life.

I Samuel 16:7 says, "The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Thank You
    Linda Keeling
    (LS King)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Creasy3/4/13, 11:33 PM

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete